Sunday, December 21, 2014

Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James

Back of book:

"When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires."

To be honest I didn't know a whole lot about this book when I decided to pick it up. I heard vague discriptions from friends as an older man who seduced a younger woman and I simply got curious one day after seeing a movie poster. Well, my first idea about it was quite off.

Anastasia Steele is an average girl, twenty-one year old girl finishing off college, who isn't big in the dating department of her life. By this I mean she never had a serious boyfriend and no one had really caught her attention, until now. Christian Grey is a twenty-seven (not middle aged like I had believed) extremely successful, drop dead gorgeous, business man.

Ana meets Mr. Grey after agreeing to interview him for her sick best friend and is taken off gaurd by just how young and attractive he is. Along with stunning with the looks of a Greek god, she finds him serious, mysterious, intimidating, and a little bit cold.

The tension and electricity between the two characters is instant. Everytime the two are in the same room I was eagar to see what would happen. There is always that air of mystery when it comes to Christian's character in that you always knew there was some other meaning behind something he said or his actions, which just made it all the more exciting and sexy.

I have to admit that I found Ana - at least through the first half or so of the book - painfully awkward. The things she would say or do, especially around Christian, I felt shy for her. However, I chalk this up to the fact that she is supposed to be extremely inexperienced when it comes to men and the dating scene.

After the initial interview with Christian, she thinks she's done with him and decides that despite he is the first man that has actually caught her attention, he is far out of her league, however, he just doesn't seem to be able to stay away.

For awhile, despite him never passing up the chance to see her, and displaying a few stalker tendencies, i.e. showing up at her place of work, tracking her phone, and finding her address, he does seem to resist actually making any sort of move on somenoe he seems to realize is fairly inocent. This only makes the suspence build since the romance always seems just so close!

After an almost date, Christian confesses to Ana that he doesn't think he is the man for her and that he couldn't give her "hearts and flowers." Eventually he is broken down when she finially tells him she doesn't want him to stay away and she wants to know what his lifestyle is. Christian reveals that he doesn't do the regular dating thing but is in fact a dominant who enjoys having a submissive woman.
While I wont get too into the dirty details here, I was totally surprised by this turn in the book, especially since I hadn't had a clue and was under the impression that the book was turning into more of a romance novel. I have to admit, some of the book is a little shocking at times, but the relationship between Ana and Christian is intense and while there are definitely some S&M kind of themes, the book is more about the two people growing and learning to trust each other. In fact most of the scenes, while graphic, are no more shocking that other romance novels with a little bit more kinkiness thrown in.

Despite the rather surprising lifestyle Christian leads, I absolutely loved him, and I think most girls would. Putting the darker scenes aside, there are some really sweet and fun moments. The book is rather simply written, and one that I couldn't put down. For a book I only had a mild curiousity about, I think it will be on my favorites list, and one of the most memorable I have ever read. In fact, after reading this book I feel that I'd be much more inclined to read others in the genre. I think it is another must read, especially if you are looking for an intense story. The characters really grow and evolve throughout the story and there aren't many other books where I find such an intense chemistry between the characters.

A definite 5 out of 5!



Other books in the Series:
1. Fifty Shades of Grey
2. Fifty Shades Darker
3. Fifty Shades Freed

Spin offs:
Fifty Shades of Grey from Christian's Perspective
1. Meet Fifty Shades Continued - Fifty Shades of Grey by G. E. Griffin
2. Meet Fifty Shades Continued - Fifty Shades Darker by G. E. Griffin
3. Meet Fifty Shades Continued - Fifty Shades Freed by G. E. Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment