Sunday, December 21, 2014

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay is the third and last book in the Hunger Gamer trilogy by Suzanne Collins.
Back of the book:

"Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans--except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay--no matter what the personal cost."

Just like the first two books in the series, this book was well written and hard to put down. I was dying to know what happened next and with every free moment of my time I found myself reading it.

However, I found this book to have a very different feel compared to the first two. While the first two books took place in the arena with Katniss fighting to stay alive against other tributes, this book, while still quite action packed and intense, had a very different kind of fight. This had the feeling of almost war, which well, is what is happening amongst all of districts and against the capital.

The districts are in rebellion, the capital is bombing areas, and Katniss is in training in order to take down President Snow. While I still loved this book, I did like the first two a bit better - simply because this book was just so different.

Throughout the story, you can really feel the toll the games and war is taking on the characters, both on Katniss and her companions such as Gale and Finnick. I feel that their personalities really shine through with all of the hardship and violence they have gone through and you can really see the change that the characters have undergone.

I was cheering for the good guys, and truly sad as characters that I ended up growing quite fond of died. The ending - while I wont give anything away - was absolutely shocking, and for me, was totally unexpected. I also love the wrap up that is at the end of the book, that makes me really feel that the series is over and while I loved the books, didn't make me feel like anything was left unsaid.


The series as a whole is a definite must read. While I was a little reluctant to read it at first, I have to admit this series really wowed me. I fell in love with it!

Other Books in Series:
1. The Hunger Games
2. Catching Fire
3. Mockingjay

No comments:

Post a Comment